Prof.dr. Jaap Paauwe
Expert areas: Accounting & Control (Management ), Business & Society (Corporate Governance), Finance (Corporate Governance), Health & Education (Strategy), Management & Organisation (Change Management, Corporate Governance, Human Resource Management, International Management, Knowledge Management, Organisational Behaviour, Performance Management, Risk Management, Strategic Management, Supply Chain Management), Real Estate (Performance Management), Strategy & Innovation (Business Strategy, Corporate Strategy, Strategic Corporate Governance, Strategic Management)
Professor Paauwe received his PhD from Erasmus University Rotterdam. He is Professor of Human Resource Studies at Tilburg University. Before joining Tilburg in 2005 he worked as a full professor of Organisation at Erasmus University Rotterdam, heading the Department of Business and Organisation at the School of Economics. At Erasmus University Rotterdam he is still involved in supervising PhD students in the area of HRM and performance in the health care.
Professor Paauwe has written and co-authored books on human resource management and and published more than 150 papers/chapters in international refereed journals and books. In 1991 he was Academic Visitor at the London School of Economics. In 1996 he was Visiting Professor at Templeton College, Oxford University (UK). Before joining the university he worked for the trade union movement (Head of CNV Research Department 1983-1988) and a Dutch based multinational company (SHV 1980-1983).
Next to teaching in the MSc programmes, he is a lecturer and trainer at TIAS School for Business and Society. Also he is academic director of the executive Advanced Human Resource Program of the People Management Centre
(PMC), which aims to build bridges between the university and the HR practitioners' community. In 2005 he joined Cornell University (Ithaca, USA) as a visiting fellow. In addition he is a fellow of the Judge Business School/Cambridge University (UK). In 2010 he spent his sabbatical leave at Pablo de Olavide University in Seville, Spain.
His latest book is on HRM and Performance: achieving long term viability
(Oxford University Press, June 2004), for which he received the Dutch HRM network Award in 2005. Together with Cambridge, INSEAD and Cornell University he is involved in a large scale international research project on improving the excellence of the HR function within multinational companies. Next to this project the research group at Tilburg has initiated a similar international project, but then focused on the role of the HR-function in corporate governance and risk management. In 2010 he received -together with his co-authors the international HRM Scholarly Research Award from the Academy of Management-HR Division.
In 2012 is his book -together with David Guest and Patrick Wright- is published under the title: HRM and Performance: What's next?
Next to his academic work professor Paauwe is also involved in more practice oriented research, coaching and acting as a moderator for a leading group of HR directors.
- Nijssen, M., Paauwe, J. & Farndale, E. (2014). Integrating strategic management and human resource management to uncover the microfoundations of workforce scalability
- van den Broek, J., Boselie, P., & Paauwe, J. (2014). Multiple Institutional Logics in Health Care: Productive Ward:‘Releasing Time to Care’. Public Management Review, 1-20
- van den Broek, J., Boselie, P., & Paauwe, J. (2013). Multiple Institutional Logics in Health Care: Productive Ward:‘Releasing Time to Care’. Public Management Review, 1-20
- Kroon, B., & Paauwe, J. (2013). Structuration of precarious employment in economically constrained firms: the case of Dutch agriculture. Human Resource Management Journal
- Paauwe, J., Guest, D., Wright, P. (eds.) (2013) HRM and performance: Achievements and Challenges, Wiley Press, 250 pp, 2013