Prof.dr. Michiel Boersma
Expert areas: Accounting & Control (Auditing, Management ), Business & Society (Corporate Governance, Corporate Social Responsibility, Strategic Corporate Governance, Sustainable Development), Context (Technology), Family Business (Strategic Planning, Strategy and Innovation, Transition Management), Management & Organisation (Change Management, Decision Making, Executive and Leadership Coaching, Human Resource Management, Implementation of Change and Transition Processes, Leadership, Research and Development, Risk Management), Strategy & Innovation (Business Strategy, Corporate Development, Corporate Strategy, Strategic Corporate Governance)
Prof.dr.ir. Michiel Boersma studied chemical engineering at the Technical University of Eindhoven, where he was awarded his doctoral degree in 1977. During his almost 30-year career at Royal Dutch Shell, he held various (management) positions in the Netherlands, France, the United Kingdom and Turkey, particularly in research and development, strategy, consulting, refining and the sale of oil products. He was chairman of the Board of Directors of Essent NV from 2003 to 2009. Michiel Boersma has been working as an independent consultant since 2009 and has held supervisory positions in the Netherlands (ProRail, KEMA, VieCuri Medisch Centrum voor Noord-Limburg) and abroad (Stadtwerke Bremen AG, Germany, Neste, Finland). He is currently active as a supervisor at PostNL, Telegraaf Media Group, Nynas AB (Sweden) and Electrica (Romania).
Prof.dr.ir. Michiel Boersma has a part-time position. His research will focus on issues of liberalization and privatization, and in particular the role of corporate governance as a key factor for the liberalized or privatized company. Developments abroad and parallels with civil society organizations are explicitly part of this. Cooperation with TIAS’ sister institution, the Technical University of Eindhoven, is self-evident.
- H. Bakker en M.A.M. Boersma, Ster-Ondernemigen – Vijf Groeistrategieen in een Veranderend Business Landschap, Business Contact, Amsterdam, 2011
- M.A.M. Boersma, Managing Strategic Development and M&A in a changing environment, Master Class Nyenrode University, August 2009 and August 2010
- Boersma, M.A.M. (2015). Nutsbedrijven: Quo vadis? Oratie. Tilburg: PrismaPrint, Tilburg University. https://www.tias.edu/docs/default-source/Kennisartikelen/150312_oratie_prof-boersma.pdf?sfvrsn=0
- Bakker, H. & Boersma, M. (2011). Sterondernemingen. Vijf groeistrategieën in een veranderend businesslandschap. Amsterdam: Business Contact.
- Boersma, M.A.M. & Vos-van Gool, M. (2009). Customer segmentation in the utility industry. In A. Bausch and B. Schwenker (Eds.), Handbook Utility Management (pp.559-574), Springer.