Dr. Martin Smits MIM MD
Expert areas: Context (Economics, Technology), Health & Education (Business Processes, Health Care Management), Management & Organisation (Decision Making, Information Management, IT Management, Knowledge Management, Operations Management), Quantitative Methods (Operations Research), Strategy & Innovation (Strategic Decision Making)
Martin Smits has a PhD in Medicine (1987, University of Groningen) and Master degrees in Information Management (1989, Washington University, St. Louis, USA) and Management Information Systems (1989, TIAS School for Business and Society). He has fulfilled many positions as manager, researcher, and teacher at the Universities of Groningen, Tilburg, and Rotterdam.
He is currently Associate Professor of Information Systems and Management at Tilburg University and independent consultant for information and business process management. He is member of the CentER for Economic Research in Tilburg, member of Tranzo (the research institute of Tilburg University for Transformation in Health), TILEC (Tilburg research Institute on Law and Economics), and ERISS (European Research Institute on Service Science).
- Smits, M.T. (2011). Redesign and performance of service networks: a system dynamics approach. In: Proceedings of the European Conference on Information Systems (ECIS).
- Smits, M.T. (2013). The impact of social media on business performance.In: Proceedings of the European Conference on Information Systems (ECIS).
- Smits, M.T. (2010). Impact of policy and process design on the performance of intake and treatment processes in mental health care: a system dynamics case study. Journal of the Operational Research Society, 61(10), 1437-1445.
- Smits, M.T. (2008). Evaluating IT infrastructure implementation strategies using Dempster-Shafer theory and real options theory: a case study. Decision Support Systems, 46, 344-355.
- Smits, M.T. (2008). Impact of Electronic Auctions on Health Care Markets. The International Journal of Electronic Markets, 18(1), 19-29.