Prof.dr. Herbert Paul MBA
Expert areas: Business & Society (Corporate Governance, Corporate Social Responsibility, Globalisation), Family Business (Strategic Planning), Management & Organisation (Business Administration, Business Policy, Change Management, International Management, Leadership, Organisational Behaviour, Strategic Management), Strategy & Innovation (Business Strategy, Corporate Development, Corporate Strategy, International Strategy, Strategic Corporate Governance, Strategic Management, Strategy and Leadership)
Professor Herbert Paul currently holds a position as Professor of Strategic Management and International Management at the University of Applied Sciences in Mainz, Germany. He has been teaching Strategic Management at TIAS and Eindhoven University of Technology, since 1999 and served for the last two years as Academic Director for the School’s MSc programmes in Utrecht. He is a Visiting Professor at Assumption University, Graduate School of Business in Bangkok, Thailand since 2004.
Professor Paul holds a B.A. honours degree from the University of Applied Sciences in Mainz, an MBA degree from Indiana University, Bloomington, USA and a doctorate degree (Dr. rer. pol.) from Justus-Liebig University in Giessen, Germany. He was appointed Professor of Strategic Management at the University of Applied Sciences Mainz by the state government of Rhinland-Palatinate in September 1998.
After his academic training Professor Paul worked for Roche, a global, Swiss-based pharmaceuticals company, with responsibility for various venture capital and acquisition projects. Later he joined McKinsey & Company, Inc. as a management consultant, working for their Düsseldorf and Stockholm offices. His consulting practice covered a wide range of projects related to strategy development in an international context as well as several restructuring programs. Before joining the business faculty in Mainz, Professor Paul held general management positions in Egmont, a leading European media group based in Copenhagen. During February 2005 until March 2007 he was on leave of absence from his university duties and worked for dz card (International) Ltd. as Senior Vice President Business Development. dz is a leading South-East Asian manufacturer of plastic cards based near Bangkok in Thailand.
His research interests focus on corporate development processes and international business issues. Professor Paul was involved in various consulting and training projects in Europe and Asia.
- Paul, H.; Wollny, V. (2014): Instrumente des Strategischen Managements – Grundlagen und Anwendung. 2nd ed. Oldenbourg Wissenschaftsverlag, Munich (Instruments for Strategic Management. Explanation and Implementation)
- Wolf, J., Paul, H., & Zipse, T. (2009). Erfolg im Mittelstand. Tipps für die Praxis. Wiesbaden, Deutschland: Gabler Verlag. (Success Factors for Medium Sized Companies)
- Paul, H. (2004). Wachstum beginnt beim Management. Harvard Business Manager, December, 67-73. (Corporate Growth Starts with Management)
- Paul, H. (2000). Creating a Global Mindset. Thunderbird International Business Review, 42(2).
- Paul, H. (2008). DaimlerChrysler: Lessons in Post-Merger Integration (Revised Edition).Wharley End, United Kingdom: European Case Clearing House.